No announcement yet.

Frost Free Faucet question?


Forum Top GA Ad Widget

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Frost Free Faucet question?

    The frost free faucet on my home leaks where the arrow points when the faucet is turned on only.. Not around valve stem / packing nut but where this entire assy screws into valve body that is attached to house. I haven't taken it apart yet BUT when I asked a local HD person.. they said it needs to be replaced in total.. Before I start a tear there a gasket between the body and the valve section/packing nut piece. or a way to seal it,,

  • #2
    Here's a parts breakdown for a similar device. See if you can find a brand name on the faucet & look for a parts list. Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydrant Replacement Parts.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	96694


    • #3
      I found more info on NIBCO brand, which was sold at HD in the '90s. There is a PDF on NIBCO's web site on the "Fig. 85" & "Fig, 90" sillcocks, but it's too large to post here. These 2 models were discontinued and have to be entirely replaced, but there are some aftermarket websites with some parts. Here's a sheet on the "Fig. 90". Click image for larger version

Name:	NIBCO Fig 90 Frostproof Sillcock.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	96696


      • #4
        Thanks to all who have responded.. The Fig 90 Nibco Sillcock diagram above is close to what I have but not the same... I was mistaken as to the location of the leak.. It is around the valve stem.. I have taken the stuffing tube nut out and not much if any packing can be seen... I have repacked it with self forming graphite valve packing, reinstalled and tightened packing nut.. still leaks.. when I disassemble it again, most of the packing is gone or pressed into the fitting.. I know there must be a prescribed packing / washer that would work BUT??? The valve is over 20 years old and local stores don't even recognize it.. NOW.. next step.. (1) either call a plumber to fix it or (2) replace the entire assy with a new valve.... to do this I would have to crawl 60 ft under the house to even find out what length it is to buy a new one.. DECISIONS DECISIONS DECISIONS??? suggestions??


        • #5
          Shut the house water off. Pull the hydrant stem out. There most likely will be nomenclature with part number or name. If nothing else, it will give you an idea of what length the hydrant is and what the npt diameter is. Get a nice brass replacement.....


          • #6
            I'm still looking to repair the Silcock I have after talking to a plumber and seeing his estimate to replace the valve. Although the diagrams previously submitted, none match the valve that I have installed. The valve is a BK and the packing part I am looking for would fit the valve with the stuffing box outlined in yellow in the attached photo.. Maybe I am stubborn, but $300 for a plummer to replace the valve seems a little steep...


            • #7
              I agree. 300 bucks is a LOT! Is your house plumbing CPVC or PVC?
              Look, if it's copper (That's GREAT!) or iron (still good...), I'd put a wrench on it and take the dang thing out! Unless it's soldered to the copper. Is the connection in the house visible? If it's just threaded on, then screw it off, take that exterior piece to HD or Lowes or _ _ _ local hardware and get the same length and diameter. Some pipe thread sealer and replace it all....
              I hope it's threaded into copper for you....


              • #8
                If you Google BK sillcock you'll find their website. There's a BK products sillcock Identification guide pdf with pictures of their models. If your sillcock is a quarter-turn type, there are instructions on how to stop a handle leak. There are also replacement stems on various web sites including Amazon for under $20. The pictures of the stems show what appear to be seals.


                • #9
                  The house plumbing is CPVC.. which requires going under the house to see how they attached it... I Googled BK Sillcock web site and nothing on it represents the BK Valve I have.. Given that the house was built in 1999, and was the last one off the line before the plant closed.. hard telling how old the 2 Sillcock valves they installed were...