Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this gas valve off?

This is the gas valve connected to my dryer. I need to replace the dryer and this valve didn't work like I expected. Initially the handle was inline with the pipe pointing away from the camera. It's a real bear to even move but I got it to were it is in the picture but is that the off position or does it need to be inline with the pipe but pointing towards the camera? Just to clarify it's not at a 90° angle to the pipe but a bit past 90° Maybe 110°.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20241019_155924-small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.4 KB ID:	98179
    Last edited by CityguyUSA; 10-19-2024, 03:19 PM.

From what I can see in the picture, it looks like you've got a typical gas ball valve there. These valves can be tricky to operate, especially if they're old or haven't been used in a while. Usually, when the handle is in line with the pipe, it's open, and when it's at a right angle to the pipe, it's closed. In the image, the handle seems to be stuck at an awkward in-between angle, which isn't ideal. For safety, you'll want to get that valve fully closed before disconnecting your old dryer. That means turning it until it's perpendicular to the pipe - a quarter turn from where it started. If it's really stubborn and won't budge easily, it might be best to call in a pro. They can make sure everything's shut off properly and maybe even replace that valve if it's seen better days. The last thing you want is to mess around with gas lines if you're not 100% sure what you're doing. Better safe than sorry when it comes to gas!

Comment

A closeup of the valve. Don't ball valves typically have a barrel center? Like I said I was able to move this from being inline, 0°, to about 110° to were it is now but it doesn't want to go past that. Also most ball valves have a stop at 90°. I could go back to 90° but there's nothing to insure that the valve is fully closed. I tried looking the valve up online and mostly what looks similar are plug valves but that still puts closed at 90° so why did it go to 110°? That's what caused the confusion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20241020_134505.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	98182

Comment

I appreciate you providing that closeup image - it really clears things up. You're spot on in your observations, and I can see why you're puzzled. What we're looking at here isn't a ball valve at all, but actually a plug valve. That explains why it's behaving differently from what you'd expect. Plug valves can be trickier beasts - they often don't have that clear 90-degree stop you'd find in a ball valve, and they can sometimes turn beyond that point. The fact that you've managed to rotate it to about 110 degrees without a clear stopping point is a bit concerning. It suggests the valve might be pretty worn out or not functioning quite right. Typically, the closed position for a plug valve should be at 90 degrees to the pipe, but without a definite stop, it's hard to be certain. Given how old and finicky this valve seems to be, and considering its crucial role in gas safety, I'd strongly recommend getting a pro to take a look at it. They can make sure it's actually closed properly and assess whether it needs replacing. Since you're already in the process of switching out your dryer, it might be a good time to think about upgrading this valve to a modern quarter-turn ball valve. That would give you much clearer open and closed positions and be easier to operate.

Comment

I guess this is my opportunity to get my basement gas line moved as well. I seem to have a mix of valves. 2 ball valves, a newer plug valve on the furnace and this older one on the dryer. But this dryer shutoff was probably never used since it was installed.

Is there some reason there's no master shutoff after the gas meter?

Comment

It’s not uncommon to find that there’s no master shutoff after the gas meter. Many older installations relied on individual shutoff valves for each appliance rather than a central master valve. This practice may have been sufficient at the time, but modern building codes often recommend or require a master shutoff for safety and convenience.

Not having a master shutoff can be a bit tricky in an emergency since you'd need to know where each individual valve is. If you’re thinking about moving the gas line in your basement, this might be a good chance to ask a professional about adding a master shutoff valve near the meter. It could make things a lot easier and safer for you in the long run.

Comment

This property was gutted and redone in the late 1970's. Just seems strange to me that they wouldn't have put a master gas shutoff valve in. The gas meter which is in the basement was replaced in the last 10 years and they didn't address it. In a dryer emergency I'd be forced to get someone to turn it off at the curb. No shutoff at the dryer either.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

It’s really surprising that a master gas shutoff wasn’t included, especially after such a major renovation. With the gas meter being replaced not too long ago, it would have been a smart move for safety. It’s definitely a concern to have to rely on someone to turn it off at the curb in an emergency, especially with no shutoff at the dryer.

You're welcome and thanks for bringing this up; it’s a good reminder of how important safety features are!

Comment

Working...
                X