Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing a very drafty wall

Our two storey house is about 5 years old. The one bedroom on the 2nd floor is freezing when it's windy outside. I poked a hole in the wall and could feel cold air blowing in. There appears to be insulation behind the drywall where I poked, but obviously something is wrong.

I noticed a draft under the baseboard when we first moved in. I put clear caulking along the floorline and that stopped the draft from blowing across the floor. It was windy and -23C the other day when I noticed the wall and floor to be extemely cold.

What's the best approach to fixing this? Do I rip the drywall and insulation off and redo it or is there a problem on the outside wall that needs to be fixed? Our house has vinyl siding and the room has hardwood flooring.

Someone suggested just ripping the wall out, finding the draft and stopping it with expanding foam. Someone else said I have to fix the problem behind the vinyl siding. I have no idea what to do.

For people having similar issues here are a few things to look for:
    1. Check for Drafts Outside: Start by inspecting the exterior of your house. With vinyl siding, make sure there aren’t any gaps or damage where cold air could be getting in. Sometimes, siding issues or problems with house wrap can lead to drafts.
    2. Inspect the Insulation: Even if there’s insulation behind the drywall, it might not be doing its job properly. If you find any gaps or cold spots, consider using expanding foam to seal them up. This can be a quick fix to stop cold air from getting through.
    3. Seal Interior Gaps: Make sure that all windows, doors, and electrical outlets are properly sealed. Use caulk or spray foam to fill any gaps you find.
    4. Consider Professional Help: If these steps don’t solve the problem, it might be worth getting a professional to do an energy audit. They can use special tools to find out exactly where the drafts are coming from and suggest the best solutions.

By following these steps, you can tackle those cold spots and make your home more comfortable. If you have any other tips or experiences to share, feel free to add them!

Comment

Working...
    X
    =