Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benjamin Moore Advance Paint

I'm getting ready to paint the kitchen cabinets. I've sanded and primed with BINS water based. Now for paint... We've chosen an off white that will match the stove almost exactly. Very excited about that. For kitchen cabinets, the local paint supplier suggested BM Advance. It is supposed to level very well and give a super smooth finish - much like an oil based but with water cleanup. A few of things concern me...

One, how much will this product yellow? I have used "white" oil based paints that are dingy white within a year and I don't want that, especially with an off white to start, that I want to match the stove for many years!

Two, the salesman touted one of the great features is its ability to level itself. She has a sample board painted with the advance and it was quite smooth, however, it mirrored very small imperfections in the wood. Will this be a major "issue" rather than advantage? I have sanded all the cupboards to remove the old varnish and smooth out any scratches. I then applied two coats of primer with a mini roller. This has given the wood a somewhat dimpled effect (if you've ever used a mini roller on wood you know what I'm talking about). Will this mirror or become worse with this easy flow paint? Can I lightly sand the primed cabinets to smooth them out again and then paint with a roller or brush?

Three, drying time. I've read some online comments concerning long drying time for this paint. Are we talking something close to oil based or something worse?

In light of all these questions, is this really the best option for paint? Originally I was going to go with a good quality latex. Is that still a viable option?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin
Working...
X
=