Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plz Help! Water Leaking through wall

Our basement foundation wall had a long crack along the cylinder blocks, so we had a professional come in and he strapped the walls with large metal straps vertical in length from ceiling to floor and big bolts to prevent more cracking.

A year later, and a season with lots of rain fall, at the bottom of the strap the bottom two bolts are leaking water. The strap in the corner of the room, we had to seal with sealant and put the bolt back in, because our washer and dryer were right there. Did not want those to get wet.

The other strap/bolt area that is leaking water, we unscrewed the bottom bolt to allow the water to come out since it was already leaking. It drains directly into my sump pump well, so at least we know the water is going in there.

My question is, can we seal the holes with sealant and put the bolts back into the wall to prevent the water from coming out (before these holes we never had water problems). What will happen if we do? Where will that water go? By drilling into the wall, did that drill into the weeping tile? I don’t know what is behind there.

Any advice is appreciated.

Many water leaks can go undetected, with little damage to the surrounding area, for a long time. Look for wet or moldy areas on the floor at the baseboard or along the wall. Many times a musty smell will accompany a water leak. Apply pressure to the wall and look for any weak areas that feel damp. Be diligent when looking for the source of a suspected leak. If you are fairly certain there's a leak, you may need to remove sections of the wall to find it.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =