Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wall stud advice... please.

hello,

I recently ripped into a water damaged exterior wall yesterday and found a couple of 2x4s that had some partial damage. This is a load baring wall. The 2x4s are only partially damaged, meaning, there is only about 1/2" of bad wood on the outside of the wood. Normally I would replace it, but this time there is electrical, one of the boards is under a window and the project would be super speedy if I didn't have to deal with all of that.

What should I do? Spend a couple of afternoons after work replacing the two partial damaged 2xs or not?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeremy

the 2x4 under the window are called "sleepers" they don't carry any weight. the lintel above the window distributes the weight to the outside studs, left and right of the window where the "jack studs" are.

Comment

thanks for your reply. So, can I save some time and skip the stud replacement?

there are five studs all together. the main one that needs repair is the one under the window. the one next to it is not as bad.

once i repair the exterior wall the studs should not continue to deteriorate, right?

-Jeremy

Comment

is the bad area the length of the stud or just in a few places? do you feel that more than 3/4 has been compromised? as I said before under the window those are sleeper studs. they hold the sheathing together but mostly all the weight of the wall and everything above the window is distributed to the jack studs on both sides of the window and the lintel piece. that's a 2x10 doubled up above the window. an engineered beam would also work.

Comment

Thanks again for your help.

As mentioned, I think the major 2x4 is doing its job. It has one bad area and it it is only about 1/2 " deep. If you tell me that the wood will not keep rotting, then I will put it back together and be done with it. My main concern is playing with the electrical. That stuff scares me. But to answer your question... no I do not feel it is 3/4 gone.

Thanks again

Comment

electrical shouldn't scare you. shut off the breaker feeding power to wherever you are working. just be careful. think of it this way, the white neutral is "just" there. it's function is to return the current to ground. the hot, no matter what color it is [except white] is what is doing the work. it is the only wire that is switched.

Comment

So, are you saying I should replace the 2x4s or no?

Comment

Working...
              X
              =