Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drywall parallel to ceiling joist

Is it ok to install drywall paralell to the ceiling joists? This would be a 10 foot run (and there is drywall available in 10 foot lengths at lowes) My rooms are pretty much all 10 x 10 or 10 x 12. To me this would be much easier and less waste of drywall, less mudding, taping, etc. Would I also need to add extra support to do it this way?.. thanks forum..you guys are a great help always..

ceiling joists and floor joist all flex a little. by fastening a sheet of "rock" perpendicular to the joist's "run" they all would flex as a unit. parallel to the joist they would flex individually and crack along the seams.

Comment

Thnaks HayZee for quick reply. Would it be feasable to maybe splt them in to 5 foot runs, or maybe less and still do it? Once again, I am just trying to reduce waste, etc.. thanks. These are 24" off center joists

Comment

24 o.c. joists are worse than the conventional 16 o.c. if you put 3 inch furring strips across the joists, 16 o.c. THEN run the "rock" the way you want, it should lessen the flexing.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =