Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Wall Dimensions. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Wall Dimensions. Please correct me if I am wrong!

I had a contractor do a build on site shed outside of my house. In the shed I wanted a divider wall with another divider wall making 2 small rooms. On the contract it states I will receive a 6X8 divider wall which would determine the length of the 2 rooms. The building is 12X20 so the 12 has been decided.

With the dimensions of 6X8, what does the 6' represent and what does the 8'? Trying to figure out who is right. Thanks for your help!

As the building is 12' x 20' I would make the assumption that by the given 6'x8' that it is a wall 6' long and 8' tall (ceiling height). However that doesn't give you two rooms as the wall would only be half way across the 12' width. When I do contracts I make sure everything is as everyone wants, if there are to be two rooms it clearly states two rooms of "x" size, with a doorway of "x" or an opening of "x".
    Unfortunately wording of a 6x8 divider wall is a little vague, to make two smaller rooms from a 12x20 it should read a wall of 12 width at the 10' point (or something along those lines) as that would clearly set out you wanted two rooms of 12'x10'.

Is your contractor refusing to make a change or wanting to make additional charges, what point is he at in the build ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Wall division....

It sounds like the first wall is splitting the building along the 20' length. That would make for two rooms at 6x20. A second wall would then be six foot long (to divide one of those sections) and be the eight foot height Pushkins is speaking of. You end up with one room at 6x20 and two rooms at 6x10. That's okay if you don't mind the one room to be 6x20. Maybe a better split would be to half it at the ten foot mark, making (first) two 10x12 rooms. Then to split one into two 10x6 rooms. You end up with a more useable (my opinion...) building with one room at 10x12 and two rooms at 6x10.

Comment

Sorry, I screwed up. Dimensions are 8X6. Kinda frantic when I wrote the post.

I'm really hoping to find the practice standard dimensions for building a wall. Is it Height by Length or Length by Height? The project is completed, and if I am wrong I'll eat it, but I just want to make sure. There are 2 different walls in the room making a total of 3 rooms, and I wasn't aware of the interior height until after it was built as anything over 6' is more than enough as a shelter for my animals.

Comment

From a purely construction point of view when talking about dimensions it's always length, width, height. On a set of plans in the "plan view" (looking straight down on the building) it is always length and width only, the height is given on elevation or sectional views.

It sounds like you didn't have any working plans, but a written contract on work to be performed, in my opinion I would read (8x6) as 8' long and 6' wide, height of the wall would be a given to ceiling height unless otherwise mentioned as a knee wall (short height wall).

Was there no mention of room sizes that "you" wanted, like I want two rooms of "x" size ?
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =