Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to cover crown molding gaps.

Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting on this forum and wanted to say hello first!

So my problem:

I installed crown molding for the first time and the connecting areas have a small seam as they should. My dad started calking before sanding the edges down and well now that it's all painted it's looks like a 5 year old installed it.

I need to know the best way to just get these joins looking like one piece, I have a dremel and sand paper and i'm thinking I just need to sand everything back down to the wood in these areas and start over. What's the best product you use to mesh these pieces together and what tools should I use to get a smooth finish.

Sorry if this is a very no0ob question but i'm at the point where the wife is starting the "should of hired someone" comments.

Thanks for any help provided!

Greg

When you say "caulk" are you referring to wood putty or actual caulk (like in a tube and flexible) ?

The joints in crown should be very close so that only a small amount of wood putty fills any gap or imperfections, then after it is dried it is hand sanded with a small piece of sandpaper. I say hand sanded as it is much easier for most people to use and ensure that they don't sand too much and change the crown molding profile.
    If flexible caulk was used it's impossible to sand it and it will shred when sanded. In this case it will be much easier to remove the caulk and then re apply wood putty.
    As for the application, your mother and father gave you the best tool known.....your fingers , always apply in the direction that pushes the putty into the joint, you can leave a little extra on the joint to allow for shrinkage or just apply a second application if required. Whatever you do do not leave a lot on there as sanding a big build up of putty is a pain in the butt.

I prefer Min wax putty as it dries quickly and accepts stains and paint very well, but there are many good wood putty's available, look for one that mentions it has wood in the putty.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      When you say "caulk" are you referring to wood putty or actual caulk (like in a tube and flexible) ?

The joints in crown should be very close so that only a small amount of wood putty fills any gap or imperfections, then after it is dried it is hand sanded with a small piece of sandpaper. I say hand sanded as it is much easier for most people to use and ensure that they don't sand too much and change the crown molding profile.
      If flexible caulk was used it's impossible to sand it and it will shred when sanded. In this case it will be much easier to remove the caulk and then re apply wood putty.
      As for the application, your mother and father gave you the best tool known.....your fingers , always apply in the direction that pushes the putty into the joint, you can leave a little extra on the joint to allow for shrinkage or just apply a second application if required. Whatever you do do not leave a lot on there as sanding a big build up of putty is a pain in the butt.

I prefer Min wax putty as it dries quickly and accepts stains and paint very well, but there are many good wood putty's available, look for one that mentions it has wood in the putty.
      Thanks, I think I just used way to much caulking. I used the (can paint) type of caulk that was sold in the same location as the crown molding. I was able to sand it down pretty well in some areas but like I said I think I just used way to much thinking I could get these pieces to looks like they have never been cut. It looked fine before I painted but damn after the semi gloss went on.. Rough.

Comment

The caulk is in the same area mainly to run a small bead at the intersection of the crown and ceiling and crown and wall it helps hide any waves in the dry wall ceiling or dry wall walls.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Stick some filler in there like cotton then put caulk over the top and contour with a wet finger.pool supplies
          Last edited by DavidLance8100; 10-13-2012, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =