Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil based

Hi, We just painted our ceiling with latex paint, just to find out that there was oil based under it. How do I get the fresh paint off? And then, how can I prepare the ceiling for latex based paint?

After moving in to my home a few years ago, I painted the whole interior....Just to find it peeling off the walls very soon after. PROBLEM...OIL BASED PAINT! The key is PREPARATION. It will save you time in the long run. What I did was peel away as much as possible from the walls and trim, etc. Then sanded everything to make smooth. I then used KILZ brand primer. I reccomend the ORIGINAL KILZ. It does have an odor, needs ventilation, but I found it works better than the PREMIUM. I have 2 rooms with textured walls that I liked , so they could not be sanded. I used 3 coats of primer first, with at least 48 hours of dry time in between. I have not had any peeling or shipping since! I have also painted over dark stained trim and sills with the sanding and primer process and it turned out great.I have even done it over laminate cabinets!
    Sounds like a lot of work, but it was well worth it.
    Good Luck!

CLucci

Comment

Working...
    X
    =