Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Wall

It may be mega dumb, but what do the experts think about dry walling over glass --- specifically a large mirror? I have one in a bathroom that is about 7' wide X 38" high glued to the drywall. What I have in mind is hanging sheet rock over it, with screws above and screws below, and a bunch of liquid nails to stick the sheet rock to the mirror. Will it hold?

I redid another bath previously, and removed the mirror by breaking it. This was a big mess, glass all over the place, and I wound up replacing the sheet rock before I was done.

The mirror in this bath is three times as large .... so I thought just covering it up might be the way to go ... any advice appreciated. Regards, Mike G. Thomasville, GA

You sure you want to do this? What if somebody wanted to install something and did't know the mirror was there. Big problems! If you still want to do this, shim up the whole wall outside of the mirror with shims that are the same thickness of the mirror and use adhesive nails on the mirror and sheetrock screws into the studs, the wall and above and below the mirror.

Comment

Although I understand your plight, I do agree with HayZee...
      How about covering that mirror with cheap contact paper? Burnish it on real good and then start smackin' it wiith a hammer. It would keep the glass splinters down, and would make clean up easier. That's so weird that it's gleud to the wall. What a shame. Maybe putting the contact paper on and then scribe/saw the plaster around the mirror perimeter and then pry the drywall from the studs. In that way you'd just pull it off the nails, and you may break the mirror at times, but at least it won't explode....

Comment

Sounds like good advice to me!
        Try

Comment

Mr Capt Bob -- I like your idea! Both of 'em! Now why didn't I think of that! True the contact paper would keep the mirror from splintering into a million pieces creating yet another hazardous condition. Cutting around the perimeter of the mirror and prying it off the studs and then replacing the sheetrock is excellant.

Comment

I like the idea of covering it with contact paper to bind it together in case it breaka, but i an no so sure about cutting the sheetrock and prying it all away. Sight unseen i would guess a mirror that size to be double pain glass at the least, and probaby 1/4 thick. at 38inch by 7ft, i would guess the mirror itself weighs 200 to 300lbs. Add to that another 50 lbs of sheet rock and you have a potential for a dissaster.

Comment

Good point, Lazy. I wonder if scoring it with a glass cutter into more 'bite-sized' pieces would be possible? Although it's thick, maybe with enough pressure?.....And if it zigs a crack off in a direction...So?.....

Comment

scoring with a glass cutter might be an option but this is one of those situations where i would consult with an expert before i started. Call or stop by your local commercial glass company and discuss the situation with them.

Comment

Scoring would be ok if it was from the REVERSE side. Glass breaks on the opposite side of the scoring. You might get by but I don't think so. Think of reality not movies and sci - fi.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =