Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paintint fireplace

I am dying to paint my fireplace but am deterred my 1. my husbands lack of "vision" and 2. he feels that when in use, because the brick gets warm tha paint will peel or run right off. Wondering if anybody has had experience with this when using their fireplace after painting it. Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated!

You and me both! I feel your pain because I too have a hubby who thinks we would have to repaint the darn thing every 3 years. I told him this was not an exterior, it shouldn't require repainting unless we were sick of the color. Two, the exterior brick will not get that hot. It will get warm, but bubbling shouldn't happen unless the paint is inferior. Are you planning to paint the inside of your fireplace or just the surround? if you paint the surround, you shouldn't have a problem. if you are painting the interior, you will want to get heat-resistant paint....which might be hard to find. I'm planning on painting just the surround as we have an antique brass fire screen (you can't see how nasty it looks on the indside I do not know what the builders of our house were thinking, but the fireplace is red brick with black mortar!! Horrors! It looks so...so...Draconian in my living room. I'm waiting for a bat or two to come flying out of the corner. I wish I had picture on hand to show you what I mean. So, I'm painting my fireplace. I'm planning on sealing the brick first and then painting it with a semi-gloss paint. I'll get a pic up here soon. I know it is not conscienable to paint stone, but it is even worse to live with black mortar![V]

Comment

Working...
    X
    =