Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repainting Kitchen Cabinets

I have some old kitchen cabinets that were stained (dark brown)some 20 yrs ago. Most of the finish has worn off but probably has some residual cooking grease. I want to repaint the cabinets a nice bright white. Can someone suggest what method I should take?

My current knowledge is I have two options to prepare the surface. 1 being to use a "De-Gloss" Agent such as Tri-Sodium-Phospate (TSP) to clean the surface and not have to sand. And 2 being to sand it with 150 grit paper. I thing method 1 is less messy. Next to use an Oil Base Primer. Then a Latex for the finish with some sort of additave "Flo-Control" to help the paint try more smooth.

Do these methods sound correct? I appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks

Can you apply a latex paint on top of an oil based primer? I didn't think that would work. Someone please correct me.

Otherwise I think your logic is sound.

Try
    Try

Comment

Yes, you can paint latex on top of an oil based primer, works great.

Here's a few links that may help you out. A great primer to use would be Cover Stain or BIN by Zinsser.

http://www.bobf.info./

Comment

i work in a lot of rental property where we constantly have to deal with ink, magic markers or crayon marks on the walls. As anyone who has done much painting knows, Ink will bleed through latex paint. I have found the best solution is keep a spray can of KILZ primer handy. One quick spray with the Kilz and your ready to paint in a few minutes.

When it is necessary to prime the entire surface we use KILZ or BIN primer with excellant results.

I had not had much experience with the KILZ water base primer until recently, but I am finding it is working out just as well as the oil base and is much easier to cleanup the tools when done, but I still keep the spray can of Kilz handy for the light touch up priming on any ink marks or stains we might find while rolling the finish.

Comment

My current understanding is latex over oil PRIMER but not latex over oil PAINT. Thanks

quote:Originally posted by Troy

Can you apply a latex paint on top of an oil based primer? I didn't think that would work. Someone please correct me.

Otherwise I think your logic is sound.

Try

Comment

Using the Cover-stain is a great idea. You can put a good semi-gloss latex paint right over it. Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into using pigmented shellac (BIN). It will stick well to the old cabinets, but most top-coats will peel right off, especially in a kitchen or bath area with lots of moisture. After the cabinets are completely done(no more touch-ups)and you are COMPLETELY SATISFIED with the results, let the paint dry for at least a day, then spray them with a very light coat of silicone spray. This will keep the paint from "blocking" or sticking to itself for the first 30 days while the paint cures. REMEMBER- any overspray on your floor will be slippery, so lay down some newspapers first.

leone184
            leone184

Comment

repainting painted kitchen cabinets

I want to repaint my already painted flat white kitchen cabinets, I was wanting some advice on how I would do this to make them look good and last?

Originally posted by lbaccar23
              I have some old kitchen cabinets that were stained (dark brown)some 20 yrs ago. Most of the finish has worn off but probably has some residual cooking grease. I want to repaint the cabinets a nice bright white. Can someone suggest what method I should take?

My current knowledge is I have two options to prepare the surface. 1 being to use a "De-Gloss" Agent such as Tri-Sodium-Phospate (TSP) to clean the surface and not have to sand. And 2 being to sand it with 150 grit paper. I thing method 1 is less messy. Next to use an Oil Base Primer. Then a Latex for the finish with some sort of additave "Flo-Control" to help the paint try more smooth.

Do these methods sound correct? I appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X
              =