Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drywall sections not flush on studs

The ongoing project that i am doing all my self has brought me to the drywall phase. After drywalling the entire bathroom with green board i notice now the some of the joints do notline up.

should I sand, grind and otherwise make the surfaces flush, removing a bit of paper, and flat across the wall especially at the joints or simply MUD over the humps and shape?

It's sometimes better to be lucky than smart.
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

I guess this would depend on how much they didn't line up. For 1/16" or even 1/8" you could mud over. I have never sanded or grinded off the surface of the paper but I am guessing it may weaken the drywall. If you haven't mudded anything yet you could take the sheets off in the affected area (assuming you used screws not nails) and level out the substructure by shimming and/or planing (that's what I would do).

Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
    How to tape and finish dryall. Tutorials and videos for taping joints and drywall repair.
    http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Well you know what, that's all it is about 1/16 or an 1/8". Since I don't know what I am doing that bit of a difference might have been more significant in another application, but you are right...i can fudge this by simply mudding a larger area.

I have seen pros use the paper tape...I am no pro and i bought this product called "easy joint tape"...it is a perforated 2" wide tape with adhesive.....do you like this product?
      quote:Originally posted by Drywall DIY Guy

I guess this would depend on how much they didn't line up. For 1/16" or even 1/8" you could mud over. I have never sanded or grinded off the surface of the paper but I am guessing it may weaken the drywall. If you haven't mudded anything yet you could take the sheets off in the affected area (assuming you used screws not nails) and level out the substructure by shimming and/or planing (that's what I would do).

How to tape and finish dryall. Tutorials and videos for taping joints and drywall repair.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by vdotmatrix

I have seen pros use the paper tape...I am no pro and i bought this product called "easy joint tape"...it is a perforated 2" wide tape with adhesive.....do you like this product?[quote]

This product will work OK for joints along a recessed edge since the tape is well below the surface. On a butt joint the knife may drag on the tape when you cover it. I am not really a fan of mesh tape. I am not a pro but I get some pretty nice joints when I am done. I use slightly thinned all-purpose mud in thin coats. I never sand until the very end, and then only lightly. Use your knife to knock down the surface level between coats.

Comment

This is a great website Mike!
          Okay, and this is an updated reply.

Following your instructions on drywalling I have had suprisingly excellent results taping joints! You would actually think I knew what I was doing....

Comment

Thanks! It was kind of fun putting it together.

Comment

Thanks! It was kind of fun putting it together.

FIRST QUESTION:

Step 6 of the inside corner procedure , Can/should I use the inside corner tool for squishing out the mud on the "wetted paper" instead of waiting until later to use the "infamous corner tool"?

SECOND QUESTION:

Inside corners include "all" the inside coners where the walls meet, where the ceiling meets the wall-SO i am taping every 90 degree surface-correct-a-mundo?

Thanks

Comment

I don't believe you can apply enough pressure with the corner tool on this very first step. When I helped my Father-in-law this summer, he tried imbedding the tape with a metal corner tool and the tool tended to drag on the tape. I just watched a "pro" the other day on a home show and they used paper tape on the inside corner and they used the knife to imbed the paper as well (although they did it darned fast!).

Yes, you must tape every 90 deg corner where the wall meets a wall or a wall meets the ceiling. I can do inside corners pretty good but I still dislike them.

Comment

Working...
                X