Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Brick Fireplace

I'm new here and need some help....Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do with a white brick fireplace with a small wooden mantel? I'd kinda like to do something different but I have no clue what that would be. Should I change it or leave it? I have a picture but can't figure out how to put it on here.

Sandblast, paint, there are many options. Do you have a picture of your fireplace? It might help us visualize.

Welcome to Home Repair Forum!

[]

Comment

It souds like I have a similar fireplace. My thought is to drywall mine. I have a free-standing fireplace that divides living room and dining room, brick from floor to ceiling that has been painted white. I don't wish to tackle removing the paint or repainting it. Is drywall an option for the upper portion, sides and back? I hate to enlarge the entire fireplace structure much, so could drywall be attached right to the brick surface, thereby only increasing the dimensions of the fireplace by the thickness of drywall? Is it safe to attach drywall? I am hoping to create a smooth surface to this fireplace, a new mantle unit surrounding the fireplace opening, and accent tile placed between the mantle unit and the fireplace opening. Can tile be attached directly over the painted brick?

Donna2

Comment

Donna,

I would say that it depends on how flat and even your bricks are as to whether you can attach the drywall to them. If the lines of the chimney are really straight and square then you probably can, if not I would use the smallest steel studs ( 1x2 or 2x2 ) and frame up the chimney and then you can use drywall rated to be fire resistant. The tile can be applied directly to the bricks because you can use the mortar to provide a smooth surface.

If you do this it would be great if you send us before, during and after photos so the next person who wants to do this can better see the process.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
        'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of the steel framing. My husband seems interested, so we'll keep it on the projects list. We may wait a while til we're ready to add a gas insert at the same time. If we frame it up and drywall, I expect it would not be too difficult to wire for wall sconces above the mantle at the same time, hiding the electrical wires behind the drywall. When we tackle it, I will definitely post pictures. Thanks again. Donna2

Comment

Working...
          X