Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting - borders and other

Hi all! I have a master bedroom with hideous painted walls - looks like they did the sponge thing with a few different shades of blue, one pretty dark. Plus there is a border at the top. I guess I should somehow remove the border? Also, should I first paint over the existing paint job with a primer or something?

That color are you painting over it with? Will it cover the shades of blue? I would probably get a can of primer to match the color you will be applying, and throw a coat of that on there. I would definitely remove the border. Hopefully it won't be too hard, but if you search the forums here, you'll find some tips on removing it...

Welcome to the Forum!

Try

Comment

Thanks Troy! I'll look around. My b/f is over in the desert - I'd like to surprise him and have this done for when he comes home.

Comment

I'm painting my living room for the first time and i want to put borders. How do I do that so that they are straight and even all around.

Santita Vassilaros

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Santita24

I'm painting my living room for the first time and i want to put borders. How do I do that so that they are straight and even all around.

Santita Vassilaros
          I suggest using the blue painters tape found where you buy the paint to outline the border. Apply the tape, paint up against the tape, trying not to get too much overlapping onto the tape. Once the paint drys, slowly peel the tape off, being careful not to pull the paint off the wall. That should give you straight lines!

Anyone else have a tip or trick? Welcome to the forum, shadowfax!
          Try

Comment

I would measure the distance from the ceiling down the thickness of your boarder then snap a chalk line to ensure you have aperfectly straight line.

Comment

good idea, dev65
              Try

Comment

About primers - just like auto painting - certain primer colors are beneficial when laying up the finish coat. lighter colored one for lighter finishes and darker for darker paints. neutral gray or white for lighter colors and something like iron oxide for darker - reds, purple, black,

Comment

Santita24,

Take a look at this post: http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum...?TOPIC_ID=1653. If you can afford a laser level, they are the way to go.

Try

Comment

I just received a catalog from "heartland" They have a cheap laser sighting device for $19.95. Contractor grades are expensive but last. Maybe this would be an out for you.

Comment

sears has a really nice laser that comes with a set of different bases, one of which is a wall mount. It can be adjusted for horizontal or vertical lines, or angles if you prefer. It sells for $39.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =