Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to paint stipple ceiling?

I have a stipple ceiling that was hideous and far too coarse (looked like they sprayed popcorn on wet plaster for the stipple!) blech!
    So, I have taken a puddy knike and removed all the 'popcorn' looking stipple and left a smooth DUSTY plaster underneath. The ceiling is concrete, so I don't want to remove the plaster and redo it as it would be quite uneven underneath. So now I just want to paint over the plaster. It is VERY dusty, and if you brush it with a broom, it drops dust.

So...my question is how would I go about painting this? I assume I need to seal it? Primer? Should I use a spray bottle and wet it down first and let it dry to 're-set' the plaster so it's not so dusty? I have a feeling if I try to paint it with a roller right now, the roller will just gunk up with the dust! HELP! Thanks so much!

Wipe it down with a damp sponge, make sure you keep the sponge clean by rinsing it out very regulary. You then could either spray the ceiling but you'd have to rent or buy the spray unit. If it were me I'd use a good quality roller and a good primer and roll the primer on the ceiling.
    If you want an even better finish you could prime the ceiling with Zinnzer (gold label) but be prepared, it is oil based and cleaning up is a chore.

Make sure you use drop cloths or either way you'll be cleaning up for a long time.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =