Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I cut drywall?

Hello all..... I've recently taken out a set of double windows and need to fill in the holes. What's the best way to get a smooth cut on drywall? Score and snap, regular skill saw blade, plywood blade, blade turned backwards, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Marty

Easiest way is a regular utility blade in a holder. For any cuts a sheetrock square is a necessesity. Its a large T square. measure your cut, mark it, put the edge of the square on it and cut it. now reverse the sheetrock and cut from the reverse. snapping might work but if the cardboard is cut, it'll make a cut clean.

Comment

In addition make sure that your sheet is secure before cutting and lay the T square evenly along the edge.

Wish you luck, Keep us posted on project!
      Smiles,

Comment

Drywall Cutting

You should mark your piece on the finished side.

Place a straightedge next to the mark and score the piece on the finished side - you only have to score about 1/16" in. A drywall t-square is helpful but you can get by with any straight edge if you are careful.

Lift the sheet upright and then tap the piece on the unfinished side with your knee while holding the two sides. It will snap and then you can fold it in toward you. It will be folded and standing vertical.

Cut along the unfinished side at the fold - this will complete the cut. Be careful that the two halves do not rip away from each other before you can finish the cut. Having someone assist you here is helpful. More information is given at Drywall Installation - Cutting and Installing Drywall
        Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
        http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

I figured this technique out after screwing up the first 2 cuts (luckily I had a spare sheet left over). The first time I cut with the paper side up and tried to snap.... nope. Second time I cut with the rock up and snap.... better but no cigar. 3rd time I cut w/ rock up, lifted sheet on side and bent, then cut crease on paper side..... much better.

Comment

The score and snap methods described above are without a doubt the quickest and easiest method but there are a couple points you should know.

When working with a sheetrock TEE Square it is best to always have the Tee on an factory edge to insure proper alignment. If you guide off a field cut edge if that edge is even slightly out of square it will make your new guide line off.

You should also have a sheetrock "Stab saw" for making smaller cuts such as cutting out for electrical boxes.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =