Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• close gap between drywall and fireplace

I have about 1/4" to 5/16" gap where the edge of my drywall comes to a brick fireplace. I'd like to close this gap with a paintable material, but it is too wide for caulking. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

have you tried 3/4 corner moulding?

Comment

I am assuming that the brick has an irregular edge... I fixed up a similar fireplace problem 2 years ago. I used low expansion spray foam (for windows and doors) first to seal any drafts. Let that cure and then trimmed it just below the drywall with a utility knife and then top-coated that with a good latex caulking.

Using the spray foam you have to be careful to not spray in too much because as it expands it will stick to EVERYTHING. Also wear hand and eye protection and have a drop cloth on the floor.

Good luck, Jim
      Last edited by Jimmer; 11-20-2007, 06:53 AM.
      'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Edge Gap

You could try a drywall edge bead that one would normally use to finish drywall that butts up to tile or windows. If this is not possible, then you can cut back your drywall to the nearest stud. Attach an additional nailer to the stud, and place a new piece that extends to the fireplace with a drywall edge bead. The edge bead will provide a nice clean edge.
        Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
        http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Working...
        X
        =