Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror, Mirror on the Wall - Please come down

We live in a manufactured home that has a large mirror on the wall directly above the bathroom vanity.. I want to take it down and replace it with a much smaller mirror but I don't know how to get it down without possibly damaging the wall.. I have looked all around the mirror and there are no clips or fasteners showing.. I have tried lifting up to see if it was in a bracket but no luck.. All four edges of the mirror are flat against the wall. DO YOU THINK THAT IT WAS GLUED TO THE WALL? I hope not... I would appreciate any suggestions on how I might get it down without destroying the wall behind it and having to replace sheetrock...

That seems to be the only option - glued to the wall - there was a posting about a year ago that suggested the same problem. there never was a follow up on the thread.

Comment

Wall Repair required

After probing and pulling, it appears as though the mirror was attached at several points with a form of glue. Once removed, the area of the walboard that had glue on it pulled the paper off the sheetrock and exposed paper fibers.. How can I repair / prepare this area so that I can prime it and then give it a texture before painting?
      Last edited by DD716TED; 01-27-2008, 10:25 PM.

Comment

clean off what adhesive is left and apply several "skim coats" of drywall compound. then prime the wall with a good latex. re-apply more compound if you see any dips in your repair area.

Comment

mastic

the mirror is glued with mirror mastic, it looks like black tar, do not attempt to take it off the wall, it is old and brittle and will break, it can cut you in half, call a professional glazier to pull it off the wall, it will cost about $60 but its the only safe way, if you are going to attempt it anyway, slowly slowly slowly pull the mirror from the wall at the top, i mean slowly, constant pressure, and will come loose

Comment

Before you apply any drywall mud, paint the area with an oil based primer (zinsser, bins or the like) this will stop the moisture from the drywall mud from lifting the drywall paper that's torn.
            Drywall has a very fine coat of sealer on the top layer of paper, that's why in normal conditions you can add mud over the top without problems, however when you have torn paper this opens up the paper to absorb moisture and bubble, the oil based primer cannot be absorbed into the paper the same way , hence it seals the paper. Same when painting over wallpaper, latex paints will almost always cause bubbling of the wallpaper, so primer with an oil based paint first.
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I guess you sort it out this problem, but i want to ask you how large was this mirror?

Comment

Mirror Mirror...

The mirror was about 26" wide x 36" high... It was destroyed upon removal as well as part of the wall... I cut out the section of drywall that was damaged, replaced it with ne dry wall... taped and thyen primed it. I then used a spray can of texture repair. After painting, the repaired area where the mirror was removed looked like new. Then I hung a new mirror using a bracket instead of glue. Took more time that I naticipated, but results look great...

Comment

Working...
                X
                =