Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting ceramic tile for wall plate.

I am working at my boss' house, just doing some electrical and general stuff. He had his bathroom tiled, the tile is on the wall up to about 4' with bull nose at the top. We put in a old work 1g box for a new switch. The bottom of the box is right at the top of the tile. Therefore, I have to cut out some of the tile because about a 1/4 of the plate is going to go where the tile is and the upper 3/4 of the plate on drywall. I was thinking I would cut the tile with a dremel or angle grinder cut off wheel and then put a bead of silicone around it. The plate is going to be a screwless black and the tile is white glossy glazed. Think that would work or do you have a better idea? I wouldn't think doing this would crack or chip the tile, may be wrong though.

I went to the dremel site. they said the #545 diamond cut off wheel is best for ceramic tile.

Comment

Thanks, we are doing this tomorrow morning though and will not have time to get any supplies. Would you be weary about a cut-off wheel or do you think it would be ok? I have the thin discs for my dremel (I'm sure I will shatter quite a few doing this) or just a cut-off wheel for my 4.5" angle grinder, which one would you pick? Thanks

Comment

for small areas I'd stick with the dremel

Comment

Working...
        X