Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing radiant barrier-What do you think?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing radiant barrier-What do you think?

Did a search on this and nothing came up. Hope this is the right place to post this. My house was built in 1957 and 5 years ago a new roof was put on with soffet and a ridge vent. The attic has about 10" of blown in insulation. The house is a one story ranch and is 1,000 sq. ft. I was wondering if it would be a benefit to add a radiant barrier in the attic. Everything I read about them seems to make sense but was wondering about how well they do work. Climate wise I live in Cedar Rapids Iowa where we have very hot summers and very cold winters. Thanks for your input!

I don't see how a radiant barrier will help if you have sufficient depth of your blown in insulation, adequate air flow through the attic (soffit, ridge vent and/or gable vents) you seal your house up real tight, you'll be having other problems down the line.

Comment

Blown ininsulation provides about 3.4 R / inch so at 10" you have only 34 R, depending on where you live that may be just coving the bottom of the scale.

In most places nowadays the Energy Dept. is recommending at least R49 for attics in moderate climates.

If it where me I'd be adding more blown in insulation way before I'd consider attic blankets.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
      X