Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Filling A Hole In Drywall

Can someone offer any tips on how to fill a hole in drywall?

lean out any loose drywall left in and around the hole, including any torn paper, cut a piece of drywall about 2 inches bigger then the hole, now turn the cut piece over and carefully cut the back paper and some way into the chalk the same size as the hole being really careful not to cut through to the face paper, also make sure that you have about an inch excess all the way around . When you have all sides cut, bend the drywall one side at a time and peel the drywall and "back" paper from the face paper (white side), repeat this for all sides. When you are finished you should have a face paper side (white) that is about an inch bigger all the way around than your hole and the reverse side should be about the same size as your hole.
    Now put drywall compound in the hole on the broken edges and on the wall around the hole, also add some compound to the piece to be fitted in.
    Press the piece into the hole and with a trowel/spatula press out the edges of the patch to remove any excess compound. Let it dry (12 hours) then cover the entire area with a coat of compound, you might have to do a couple of coats to get it nicely feathered out.
    Sand, prime and paint.

You can if it's easier get a hole patch kit from a hardware store but seldom do they successfully hide the patch, they pretty much cover the hole.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Hole In Drywall

Here is another method, if your hole is a bit bigger.

Cut out the hole square. Fasten in backing along the edge so you have a surface to fasten the patch piece. Plywood pieces work good for this. Cut a patch piece and fasten it into the plywood pieces. If the hole is larger than a foot square, you should probably tape and then finish. For small door knob size holes, I usually don't tape since a crack does not occur in a small contained joint.

For more information on hole repair and steps for taping and finishing, go to
      Drywall Repair a Hole in Drywall - Instructions
      Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
      http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I will take a look at that link.

Comment

I also found this in my searches:
          Drywall Hole Repair
          It requires I use a key hole saw which I have.

Comment

That is the same approach that "drywall Guy" suggested.
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =