Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more window wanted

We are redoing our den into a guest room. We have 2 windows that just need to go. I have found out how to remove them and cover them up but at this time we just want to really do the inside as we are going to side the house in a few years. At this time we figured we could just do the inside drywall and everything for now as the window themselves are air ans water tight.

What can we do between the drywall and the window to make it safe. I don't care about the look as we will take care of that when we put in the new siding.

Thanks!

Drywall over window?

I would think you would have barely any clearance (if any) between the drywall and window. Tack on a thin piece of plywood if there is room, but only onto the window. Personally, I think I would just find some creative method of covering the window until you are ready to re-side. Some art work? I think it would be difficult to frame from the outside with the drywall in the way.

I have filled in a window. About 15 years ago though. I also have removed old windows just a few years ago. A lot of pry bar work and kind of rough - I would think you might mess up the drywall. And then, you will want to frame right up to the drywall so you have no more than a 22" gap. I guess it depend on the window - will a few screws taken out allow you to slide it out? Not the case for me.
    Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
    http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

RE: reply to No more Windows wanted

Thank you for getting back to me. I will say that I have on one window I have double panes. I have the panes on the exterior and then I have a set that slides. I would be taking off on the ones that slides and this leave me about 4 inches to work with.

The other window is set in and has about the same amount of space from the wall to this outside window. Would this make any difference in placing something here and the drywall not getting in the way when we do frame it up and cover it from the outside?

I do appreciate you help..I guess I am trying to save the "big" job until later.

Comment

Drywall over window?

As long as you will have room to work with and remove the window after the drywall is up, you can drywall over it. To make the drywall stiffer, you can simply screw in a piece of plywood behind it, and not fasten the plywood to anything. Then, when you take the window out, build framing out of 2x4's or 2x6's (whatever you have) that have been ripped down to frame out the section behind the drywall with the plywood in place. Fasten the framing to the existing window opening, and fasten the drywall to the framing through the plywood.
        Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
        http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

If u r using ac then it is not required i.e. window .if this is done then no need to have a window.
          thanks very much.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =