Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another bathroom caulk/grout question

As I am working on my ceramic tile shower surround, I notice that in the corners it seems as though it has been caulked rather than grouted. i have scraped all the old stuff out of the corners because it was getting nasty. Should I be re-filling these corners with caulk, or with grout?

This is a ceramic tile surround in a tub/shower area.

Julie

Usually when grout starts to crack, people will caulk over it to seal it rather than re-grout.
    If you're re-grouting the entire surround, I would grout the corners because it keeps the look uniform and neat. If you're not re-grouting, I would caulk the corners. It's quicker and you probably won't be able to match the old grout. One advantage of caulk is its ability to flex if the substrate moves. I would caulk between the bottom of the tile and the shower pan because this joint is most likely to flex.

Comment

Thank you! That was a very good answer, easy to understand for me, a novice I am in the process of re-caulking the tub and i am filling in the grout in a few spaces where it is cracking, but i am not grouting the whole thing so i will caulk the corners.

Comment

Working...
      X