Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollow core door: trim or shim?

The widths of all of our bedroom doors are a variation on the theme of "about 31 inches, give or take." Installing a new door on our son's bedroom, I bought a 32", hollow core door and trimmed it to fit: 4" off the bottom, 1-3/8" off the hinge side.

Doing this trimming left me with an open hole on the bottom and inadequate support for the hinge screws on the side. I cut filler pieces for the bottom and the hinge locations (cutting out the thin remaining wood to make room.) Kind of a pain, but not unexpected.

I have three more doors to do. I wondered about buying a door the next size down, and gluing/screwing a shim piece to the hinge side.

Any thoughts?

- Bill in Kansas City, Mo, USA
    Low Cost Websites, Search Engine Optimization, Multimedia, Video, Audio
    Measure with a micrometer. Mark with a crayon. Cut with an ax.
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

you may be better off doing something with the hollow core because it'll be a pain trying to match the veneer and stain of the stock door. use standard 2x4 framing lumber - it may behove you to locate a carpenter or a lumber yard that does millwork and have them use a thickness planer to get the inserts the thickness of the core opening. glue the door's veneer to your inserts.

Comment

You could carefully cut out the remaining hinge side filler piece, and cut and install a bigger one.
      Once you have cut down your door run a really sharp blade/knife down the door between the wood filler and the door's veneer on both sides of the filler, you should then be able to remove it and reinstall a new wider piece, glue it in like the bottom filler.

You could also buy a solid pine door and then you wouldn't have an issue at all.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =