Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drywall on ceiling

Hello all; What is the minimum thickness drywall I should use on a ceiling? Is there a good tool that is useful for a one man operation getting it up there. I am aware of those jack things, but that's a bit pricey for something I will use once and never again. I saw a few howtos around where they were using something like a "T" support, and also saw this thing I guess you attach to the ceiling to hold one end up, but I got to thinking how do you take it back out once you are done? Also once I get it up there, is there a sanding tool that will make that part of it easier? I have a lot of back problems, so looking up for an extended amount of time would be a real pain..literally I need to do this myself, because of limited income. I did call a few drywallers. Told them I had the drywall, screws, tape, compound, and the ceiling stripped to the beams. The ceilings are low, I am only 5'8" and can still reach up and touch the beams from the floor. Everything but holding their hand. But they still wanted ridiculous fees.

5/8" is the norm for ceiling board. It's less likely to sag between the ceiling joists than standard 1/2".

The jack you saw is usually available at a rental store for a daily fee. No way can one person hang a ceiling without help. It's a big enough job for two people.

If you're not able to look up for any length of time, you may want to keep looking for someone to finish the ceiling for you. There are some tools that make it easier than finishing with a trowel, but they still require you to look up as you work.

How soon do you need this finished? Nothing says you have to work on it every day, unless you want to.

Comment

Drywall on Ceiling

This can be done alone, but if you are using 5/8" thick, it is pretty difficult! So get help, at least for putting up the sheets. You can rent a lift as opposed to buying one - that might be your best option.

You can use a T-support. The support is a little shorter than 8 ft, and the extra distance is made up by wedging some block under. So once the sheet is up, you can remove the block and T-support. If you go this route for sure get help. To make things a little easier, fasten temporary supports at the edge. Still, get two people.

You will need to tape all inside corners unless you plan to put up some ceiling trim. You will need to tape and finish all other joints. What I have done is construct my own 8 ft long bench just high enough so I can comfortably tape and finish the joints. Working off a step ladder is tough. I believe Little Giant type ladders can also be used as a bench to stand on. Another option are drywaller stilts. See Taping Drywall Step by Step Instructions - How To Tape Drywall for tutorials on taping and finishing drywall.
      Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
      http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. 5/8"? ouch, that would be too heavy for just me I guess I will look into the lift rental tool. Stilts would put me head in the attic I think..lol I also assume that with 5/8" maybe minimal to hold it would be 1 and 1/2" drywall screws? What type tools for the finishing part are around? As you mentioned Kman, I don't have to do that part in a hurry. Would one of those sanding poles be useful? As I said the beams in the house are pretty low, so I don't need to overkill I guess. But something that would not make the task so long and tedious would be a big help. Now I am off to watch the taping how to Thanks

Comment

While 5/8 drywall is ideal, you can (and very often it is used) use 1/2" drywall, for a one man job it will make your life MUCH easier. Rent/hire a drywall lift home depot rental have them as does almost all tool rental outlets. If you can reach the ceiling height without great difficulty then a small sanding pole would make life easier as well.
          5/8 drywall= 1 1/2 screws, 1/2" drywall = 1 1/4 screws (1 1/2 will do just fine for either size drywall.
          The biggest secret to muding is plan on three coats, taping coat, second coat and top coat, once you put each layer on don't play with it too much (ie: don't try to make each stage perfect) let it dry then apply the next coat or fix coat. Playing with drywall mud while it's drying will make your life miserable.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Most commonly used ceiling drywall size is 1/2"

Minimum IRC Code (Indiana Code) length of screw for 1/2" drywall is 1 1/8 inch and must be Type S or W screw.

Minimum screw spacing for 1/2" drywall on ceilings without adhesive is 12".

Minimum screw spacing for 1/2" drywall on ceilings with adhesive is 16".

Most use adhesive to reduce cost of fasteners and compound and time required to finish.

Comment

Sanding Drywall

With respect to sanding, you really do NOT want to sand until all the coats are on. And then only sand very lightly to touch up the surface with 200 grit. Instead of sanding, use your taping knife to knock off bumps and ridges before putting on the next coat. And if you get "washboard" type ridges, knock them off fairly level with your taping knife and then fill with a light coat that runs perpendicular to the ridges. If you try to sand ridges off you end up creating hills and valleys, which show up like a sore thumb after all is painted.
              Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
              http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

My thanks to all of you so much for all the help. This will definitely make this task a lot easier Maybe as far as the lift, I might just buy one after all. I would probably nickel / dime myself to death renting, as this is all pretty much new to me. It would probably take me the first day just learning how to use it. I have patched drywall many time before, but never installed it. I did see at harbor freight that they had a lift not too expensive. I guess I could always sell it to someone else after I am done with it..haha

Comment

Working...
                X
                =