Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing hole in bathroom

Hello,

Some the tiles and the grab bar came off after knock in to it hard (fall accident) 4 tiles and the bar are knocked off and the backer board got hole in it and part of it is craked.
    Next where the grab bar (6" wide) was installed is the stud.

Do I have to remove additional tiles and backboard to do this? also is there a place I can buy materials just enough for the job? I mean Like for this job I don't need 8'x? baker board not the hole sheet , whole bag of grout or Tile adhesive! right?

I am new to this and tring to learn.

Best

you may need to remove enough tiles to span one or two stud spaces depending on where the hole is because just to patch the hole may not provide enough of "tooth" to anchor the tiles and/or the towel holder. the tiles are held on with quikset or a waterproof adhesive.

Comment

Must have been a pretty hard fall to have ripped it out the wall. Make sure to check for any deterioration from water intrusion ... just to make sure that wasn't the reason why it came out so easily.

Comment

Originally posted by HandymanCincy View Post
        Must have been a pretty hard fall to have ripped it out the wall. Make sure to check for any deterioration from water intrusion ... just to make sure that wasn't the reason why it came out so easily.
        Yes I think some water damaged the board behind; but I try to replace the board for only that section. the problem is you have to buy almost same amount of material for big job; whole board(only need 2x2') whole bag of glue, grout...

I something had to give, i am glad it wasn't me!

thanks for respond

Comment

Something inexpensive you can do to help prevent the water from getting in there again is to make sure the seams of the shower are well caulked (use silicone) and that you seal all the grout and tile. It is amazing how just a hairline crack in the grout can let SO much water in. This will eliminate (or slow down) any such leaks int he future. Good luck with your project!!!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =