Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting over water-damaged wall

Hi folks,

In my bathroom, there is a retainer wall that enclosed the shower/bathtub. The caulking around the tub eroded over the years and water seeped through to the exposed retainer drywall. After recaulking the tub, I sanded down the wall, spackled where needed, and repainted, but it doesn't look any better. Since I am new to painting and repairing walls, I am wondering if perhaps I didn't sand or spackle enough, or if I even used the right materials.

So my question is, how do I make this wall look nice and new? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dave
    P.S. I can send pictures of the damaged wall if you'd like. The forum isn't allowing me to post the links here directly.

Tub Drywall

I would remove the drywall near the tub and replace with tile backer board, out to the nearest stud. Tape the backer board onto the adjacent drywall and skim coat the board to fill all voids. I did this near my tub and it works great and there is no way you even know it is there since I taped and finished it to look like part of the drywall. The cement backer board will not delaminate or swell like drywall and will hold up a lot better.
    Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
    http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Without seeing the wall it sounds like you are either getting some sort of staining bleeding through from the moisture inside or that the surface is just not looking smooth enough. Try priming the wall first with some oil-based KILZ, then patch again if necessary, prime one more time over the patch, and paint. Try using a high solids paint with mildew fighting additives in it. Usually products like a kitchen & bath satin finish or the BEHR ULTRA satin finish.

After you are finished, then check and see if you need to re-caulk the base. Try using a 100% silicone product.

Also, Drywall DIY Guy's way is the best way solve this "long term". If you go that route, then follow the pattern above for priming and painting.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =