Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To cap or not to cap

The weekend project: I'm planning on building a decorative fence - something to give the roses some structure to climb on, a new bed for the peonies that's in the sun, plus put a finished look to the corner of our yard along the driveway. It'll also get rid of a lot of unused lumber.

Code for our area is 24" deep, no problem there. I've called DigRite and they've marked where the gas/electrical/phone lines are. All set.

Since the fence is decorative rather than structural, do I need concrete? Gravel at the bottom of the hole? If I do need concrete, will a cap of it do?
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

what does your building inspector say? being decorative I would think gravel at the bottom and gravel in the hole would hold the thing still. If it were a stockade fence, then concrete would almost be a necessity as it is holding up a load. with rain and settling the gravel should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      what does your building inspector say? being decorative I would think gravel at the bottom and gravel in the hole would hold the thing still. If it were a stockade fence, then concrete would almost be a necessity as it is holding up a load. with rain and settling the gravel should be ok.
      Thanks very much. As it happens, I had to set two of the posts in concrete as I could only dig down a foot or so - there was a tree in that corner of the yard years ago that I'd forgotten about.

Any road, the fence is up and looks good.
      Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
      Mark with a crayon
      Cut with an axe.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =