Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tuckpointing

Hello! The young man who tuckpointed a wall of my house ground out this area on top of the window:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

and he wouldn't fill it back in again because he said something about he thought there should be a piece of metal in there. Does anybody know anything about that?

Thank you!

Loretta

I guess he's talking about some flashing. Do you see anything on your other windows? I wouldn't leave that gap open for the next rain. At least get some caulk in there until you figure this out.

Comment

He is correct, in standard building practices there should be a piece of metal angle iron running from the bricks on one side all the way over the window to the bricks on the other side (lintel). Basically this lintel takes the weight of the bricks over the window and helps prevent window issues and cracking brickwork/mortar above the window.
      It's not the easiest thing to add after the fact and certainly not a cheap fix.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

thedcdude: Yes, my son stuck some caulk in there for now to keep the Seattle rain out.

pushkins: what would have to be done to fix it? The house was built that way in 1942.

Comment

At 70 ish years old if there are no signs of cracking, sagging or other brick stability issues, I'd do nothing. The cost to redo the area correctly would be in the many hundreds of dollars at best.
          I cannot see from the picture but there may be a flat metal plate deep in under the brick.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thank you pushkins.That eases my nerves a bit.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =