Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing pieces from exterior windows

There are missing pieces from the exterior of my windows. I'm not sure what they are called and I'm not sure how to replace them.

We don't have the money to buy new windows.

If anyone can help us name these pieces and tell us how we can replace them that would be very helpful.

Thanks

nothing missing there. those are places water goes out after a rain when screens are installed in your windows.

Comment

In the first two pictures the "insect guards" from the drain is missing. You can clearly see the guard in the last picture, it is important to have these in place, mud wasps (dobbers depending where you live) love crawling in there and building nests.
      On the window somewhere there should be a manufacture name (Pella, Simonton, Thermatrue etc...)
      often you will see it written on the lock lever, once you find the manufacturer's name it's a simple call to them and most often they will post them out to you.
      Last edited by pushkins; 09-01-2011, 08:10 PM.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for the information!

Now I can't find the manufacturer of the windows. I looked all around the outside panes, inside, opened the windows, the latch... there is just nothing no them. On the latch it simply writes "lock". I contacted the builder but in the past they have been of zero help (cachet homes in Brooklin). Where else could it be written? It's less than 10 years old so there should be some sort of markings right?

Comment

I have been looking through window replacement part websites and I can't find any pieces that are called insect guards. Is there another name for it?

Comment

take a ride to lowes or home depot and see if you can find the windows. then ask the sales rep for info.

Comment

The first thing I did was go to lowes, rona and home depot. No one seems to even know what the pieces are. Sigh. Window stores want me to buy new windows but it's such a small piece I know it must be fixable.

Comment

Without the manufacturers name your going to be chasing your tail. There are maybe 20 or so window manufacturers in the US and from my experience they all like to be just a little different from the other.
                Open the windows (try more than one) and look in the slide channels either side, often there will be a sticker with screen dimensions (black with white or silver text), look on the bottom of the individual sashes.
                The only other option you will have is to remove one of the guards (sometimes also called Weep Hole Guards) and head to a local window supply company not Lowe's or HD builders seldom buy windows at either of these places. Siding supply companies almost always sell new and replacement windows custom made so they have access to at least 4 or 5 manufacturers.
                Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =