Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

water leak from a window in mu sun room (Pics)

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water leak from a window in mu sun room (Pics)

Hey there I am new to this forum and I am also newish home owner. April 2012 my wife and I purchased a 2 story house made of wood in the early 1980's. The previous owner told us about this water leak and tonight i decided to take a look.

I have got a bunch of interior pics and will get some exterior soon.

How would you home repair pro's deal with this leaky window situation?Click image for larger version

Name:	house problems 003 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	87727Click image for larger version

Name:	house problems 004 (Small).jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	87724Click image for larger version

Name:	house problems 002 (Small).jpg
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	87725Click image for larger version

Name:	house problems 006 (Small).jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	87726Click image for larger version

Name:	house problems 001 (Small).jpg
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	87723
    Last edited by Scoop; 02-27-2013, 11:48 PM.

Can you post some pictures from the outside they are going to be much more helpful.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

thanks I'll get those pics ASAP tomorrow morning

Comment

exterior Pics

here are the pics from the outside. it rained a lot today, but and it leaked a very little. It only really leaks a lot when its wind and rain blowing the rain sideways. It looks like the rain is coming in from the bottom of the window but not 100 percent sure.Click image for larger version

Name:	house problems 007 (Small).jpg
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	87159Click image for larger version

Name:	house problems 010 (Small).jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	87160Click image for larger version

Name:	house problems 011 (Small).jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	87161Click image for larger version

Name:	house problems 008 (Small).jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	87162Click image for larger version

Name:	house problems 009 (Small).jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	87163

Comment

With windows trimmed out like that the leaking is almost always caused by the degradation on the caulk between the glass and the trim work around the glass, that bottom trim piece, sill of sorts, should be angled/slopped away from the glass so it sheds any water away and off the sill. You will need to remove any caulk that is loose around the window and reapply a solid bead of clear 100% silicone all the way around the glass. Apply new caulk to the two trim joints on either side as well, the area where the horizontal trim meets the two vertical pieces.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Window leak....

If I may intrude: I agree with Pushkins about recaulking the glass, but I have a question. Is that glass a regular pane type? Or is it a home-made sort of set up where it's merely sandwiched between two sill plates? It does not appear to have a perimeter flange. It does appear that water is leaking from the sides, as well. I'd like to know what's beneath the outer 'sill' and what's behind the side trim pieces, too. Sealing the glass is good. But there is also that insidious area just beneath the sill where the siding meets it. Rain can migrate off the sill and creep back to the siding and further creep into the 2/4 surrounds.

Comment

water leak

looking at your first pictures. you have a mighty problem.
              my first instinct would be to remove the whole casing, window included, the outside siding and sheathing.
              now cut out everything that is water logged and black - this black is mold and not very healthy.
              the framing in this area needs to be completely replaced.
              a new casement window is installed from the outside - in.
              the plastic flanges around the casing is fastened to the sheathing and framing around the window.
              apply caulking [silicone] around the whole flange.

before you fasten anything check for level and plumb [ up and down] [window]

use shims to square everything up THEN fasten.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =