Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracks in concrete on the corners of house

We have a house that's about 20 years old and we've noticed there cracks in the corners in the concrete at the base of the house. I don't know if this is a foundation issue, if it is something we can fix ourselves or if we need to call someone. If it can be fixed by us, any ideas about how and what product? If we need to call someone -- a foundation repair place? Any ideas about how to pick a good one? ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1052.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	87898!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1054.jpg
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	87900Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1055.jpg
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	87901Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1056.jpg
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	87902Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1053.jpg
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	87899

pictures 4 & 5 look to me like the foundation is made up of trap rock used to fill in a void. what I mean is a foundation form made and filled in with coarse rock, then skim coated with a mortar mix to even out the surface.
    a concrete block foundation would crack along the block seams, not at the top as one photo shows.
    a poured foundation wouldn't crack as yours did at the top. usually a crack would appear along the whole wall if the footing settled more in one spot than another.
    use a chisel and hammer and peel back some more of the concrete at that corner to investigate what comprises your foundation and post a pix. don't worry, your house is not going to collapse.

Comment

Looks a lot like a slurry crack, I cannot see in any of those cracks any aggregate (stones) it looks like just mortar that is cracked. A slurry crack occurs when there isn't any "rock/stone" in that section to help bind the concrete together.
      As a rule foundation cracks that are of a concern will be on both the left and right side of a corner disappearing into the ground on each side (yours appear to be just a cracked edge). Also a crack will zig zag it's way up the brick wall following the mortar lines.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =