Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tiling on an exterior balcony

I have some tiling installed on my exterior balcony wall, several of which are falling off. I couldnt find ay matching pattern tiles; do you think it is possible to recalim these falling tiles somehow? (perhaps i can chisel the glue off the back of these tiles??) Would it make a difference to this reclamation if tiles were of natural stone or ceramic or any other material?

On this same balcony, I also have sloping issue. That the water is just accumulating in the middle rather than flow to the corner drain. The floor is about 4x4 feet and all tiles. My question is it possible i apply a scratch coat to fix the floor then install a new layer of tiles, all without removing the existing floor tiles. Is the answer different for ceramic tiles, natural stone tiles, etc.?

Thank you guys. Love your Forum!

I would think that you'd have to re-install the sub-floor and pitch it towards the floor drain so water goes there instead of to the middle. Use the formula of a quarter inch per foot for drainage towards the drain. As for the wall tiles, is there a vapor barrier under the sheetrock or whatever makes up your walls? Moisture from the outside walls could be attacking your adhesive and softening it letting the tiles slide off. Over time, walls that seem dry are in fact acting like sponges for outside air infiltration and will soften "hard" adhesive especially the latex types. Solvent based adhesives are less apt to soften.

Comment

Yes, there is vapor barrier behind the sheetrock, extending all the way to the top of the wall. I will actually verify this when replacing the tiles.

But i am worried about the tiles, there is a good chance i wont be able to find identical replacements, do you suggest any ways to salvage the existing tiles if the adhesive hasnt softened?

Thanks!

Comment

sometimes using a hair dryer to warm the tiles will soften the adhesive where you may be able tp pry them off with a stiff putty knife.

Comment

thank you hayzee for your help

Comment

Working...
          X
          =