Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing wood soffits with vinyl?

I have a 1958 brick ranch. I had new seamless gutters put on last year. When they took the old gutters off, lots of lold paint went them from the fascia board. Also, the fascia boards needed a little squaring here and there and that caused some of the plywood soffit to come loose and hang down in the corners. I'd like to cover it all in vinyl/aluminum soffit/fascia.

Do I have to drop all the gutters to put on an aluminum fascia cover, or could I pull some gutter spikes in sections and slide the fascia cover underneath the gutters and respike?

Do I need to remove the old wood soffit material before I put in the vinyl soffit?

Do I need vented soffits, or solid soffit and vents?

Ideally you would remove the existing wood soffit and replace with the vinyl (vented) soffit, then add the aluminum fascia, the fascia holds up and finishes the outer edge of the vinyl soffit.
    In your case you already have new gutters installed it is a little backward to now remove the gutters, install the new fascia although this would be the ideal solution.
    Is your gutter installed with gutter nails or screws with little hangers that pull the gutter into the fascia ?
    If it is with the little screws and hangers then you could bend up your aluminum to accommodate the new soffit and cut little slits where the gutter screws are, least this way you can get the new fascia all the way up behind the gutter without have to get them removed and reinstalled.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =