Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Mechanic garage door motor not turning

I have a Master Mechanic Garage Door opener #41A3627. Door will not open. I hear the motor churning but the chain is not moving. i climbed a ladder and watched it while pressing the remote. The motor runs but the chain is not turning. Do I have to buy a new 1/2 HP motor or is there a part or parts I could purchase to fix my problem.

BTW, there are no obstructions and the cable is not caught on something.

if the motor turns then why would you buy a new motor? check for slippage in the sprocket that drives the chain.

Comment

motors turns but garage door does not open

I am a newbie to garage door repair. After submitting my post I found a video on Youtube that showed my problem is the plastic gear inside the opener. So, no need to replace the entire unit.

Question for you, what company now owns the Master mechanic brand garage door opener? It appears to be Lift Master but I cannot confirm this. I'm not sure what part number to order since no one even lists MM brand.

Comment

My experience is that Master Mechanic is a house brand for True Value hardware stores, similar to the Craftsman brand for Sears. As done by Sears/Craftsman, True Value contracts with assorted tool manufacturers. I purchased a Master Mechanic reversible drill and driver set. That tool set was actually manufactured by Jore Corporation (Ronan, Montana). Jore also produces assorted Stanley drilling tools and Craftsman, etc. Jore's website states:

Jore Corporation, founded in 1990, located in the heart of the Rocky Mountains in Ronan, Montana is the leading US manufacturer and provider of innovative, high quality power tool accessories to the retail market and engineered drilling solutions to the industrial marketplace. Three buildings, totaling nearly 300,000 square feet, house a state-of-the-art manufacturing, assembly, packaging, warehouse and distribution facility. Jore's manufacturing processes include drill bit grinding, high-speed machining, injection molding, blow molding, die casting, metal forming and stamping. Jore also has two strategically located sales offices in Chicago and Atlanta. Jore is a privately held company that is owned by Western Mortgage and Realty Company in Pasco, Washington

Read more: Who manufactures Master Mechanic brand tools

Comment

thanks

Very thorough reply. When looking for a part for my MM garage door opener, what brand do I look under since MM is not listed?

Comment

look in here for Ryan [gd door pro]. he's our door moderator. He knows his stuff.

Comment

How to remove gear?

Since I have never worked on a garage door motor before...what is the best way to replace this gear? Can it be done with just taking the cover off or do I need to remove the mounting bolts and take the unit down to flip it on its side on the garage floor to remove the worn gear?

Thanks for helping a newbie. I am mechanically inclined but have never had a problem with a garage door opener until now.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =