Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Liftmaster--strange situation...

Greetings to all forum members, this is my first post, however an embarassing one....

I have a LiftMaster 1/3 horsepower garage door opener, a few years old-- this morning I pushed the button to open it, and turned away to look for something-- after a moment I heard a terrible ratcheting sound-- when I looked up, the door had snagged and taken up with it, a plastic chair, and sitting in the chair of all things was a heavy car battery. (my wife had been cleaning out the garage, put it too close to the door, and I failed to look).

So I shut it down immediately, and took down the heavy load , but now the chain is very loose, and when I hit the button, I hear humming, but the chain doesn't move. I must've stripped a gear or something something in the motor.

Question is, does anyone know if something like this is repairable, or would I have to replace the entire unit? Please be kind, I can't tell you how stupid I felt seeing a chair and battery hanging from my garage door....

Don't worry about it. From what you have described it can be repaired but you will need some expertise to do that so if you are not skilled in that area you should check around for different technicians in your local area as some will probably have a call-out charge just to inspect your door.
    A fool-proof furnace repair manual...

Comment

broken liftmaster

I'm not trying to be funny..but have you checked the manual pull rope to see if its possibly disengaged

Comment

i have posted instructions on replacing the gear in another post, not sure which one but if the chain doesn't move you need to replace the gear, its pretty simple, might take an hour or so, but cheaper to do yourself.

Comment

This is definitely a stripped nylon gear - be sure to use plenty of grease on the gear. You can get a gear and sprocket part for about 35-40$ and repair it yourself EASILY.

Or....

Call a service technician and get the same work done for 125$ and get the door adjusted at the same time.

Stripped gears are very common. Make sure your springs and cables are properly installed. Make sure the door balances halfway down in the opening when disconnected from the opener and make sure the cables are taught and not loose.

-Mike
          Garage Door Parts
          Last edited by stampdoorparts; 12-26-2011, 10:49 PM.

Comment

No you will need a universal gear and sprocket set. The part number is 41c4220a - Don't listen to DUNEMe - He is plugging his website. You can get it cheaper elsewhere (EBAY)

Comment

Not going to argue with you and I'm not here to sell anything...hence the reason I said go to ebay - even amazon.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =