Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights staying on???

The light relay for my opener is intermittantly working.

I recently put new bulbs in (Florocent) and didn't look at the watage but, I'm sury they are more than is recommended by the opener. . .

Will the light Relay work weird or is the maximum just to keep the heat down (old style lights.) Again, I have florocents in there now. . .

(I know, I could make this easy by trying the correct light.)
    Mark
    Owner of 1 house (3200 SQ.FT., 4 car garage)
    Owner of 3 rental houses (partner with the bank.)

check the door opener itself. there should be a sticker near the porcelain socket, or there may be something stamped in the metal near there for the maximum wattage the socket will handle. also, check your operation manual. there may be a caution on using a cfl lamp.

Comment

The O&M Says this . . .
      Two 60 Watt light bulbs
      (Rough service bulbs recommended)(store)
      (and)
      Lights will not turn off
      Disconnect Wires connecting Wall Console to Power Head (see Wall Console Installation on page 18).
      Check their condition and either replace or reconnect.

Until a replacement Wall Console can be obtained,disconnect Wall Console and use only Remote Controls

or Wireless Keypad to operate Opener.

I'll try the smaller (Wattage) lights tomorrow. . . Day-light savings is kicking my butt today. . .
      Mark

Comment

Your first issue is the lamps on the opener. The manual says no more than two 60 watt bulbs [and they specify rough service] why? Because rough service lamps have a beefier filament to handle the vibration of the door opener. The wall console is just a direct wired open/close button. Remote or wireless controls use radio frequency to open and close the door. That short white insulated wire that sticks out from the housing is the antenna. DO NOT CUT IT OFF! About the lighting. CFL bulbs must be mounted is either base up or base down configuration because there is a little drop of mercury inside the bulb. When a high voltage, low current is passed through the bulb, it vaporizes the mercury allowing it to conduct from one electrode to the other. Once an arc is established, the arc puts out ultraviolet light which in turn causes the phosphors to glow giving you light.

Comment

60Watt is the max the light can be (as printed on the plastic housing.)

I put in a couple florocents at 60Watt equiv for now. . .
          (I left on the light for now just to see how things work.)
          Mark

Comment

Working good now.
            Mark

Comment

hmmmm, odd. maybe it wasn't screwed in tight??

Comment

It must have been the wattage (although I wouldn't think that would be the issue when I go Floroescent) but, I was wrong. . . Oh well. . .

I lowered the wattage on the bulbs and the issues are gone.
                Mark

Comment

Working...
                X
                =