Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Door Opener Humming

Hi,

My garage Door opener isn't working. It makes a humming and clicking sound when I activate it. The gears look OK. The light's not blinking on and off like it used to. Any ideas what's wrong. A bad circuit board or capacitor, or the motor. Ocassionally it moves a bit and then starts the humming again. Releasing the manual catch device, doesn't free anything up.

Also what should I expect to pay for a professional to inspect and fix or replace the opener.

Thanks

sounds like a bad circuit to me as it seems to have a wavering functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by hughjmasterson View Post
      Hi,

The light's not blinking on and off like it used to.
      This leads me to believe that it was blinking prior to this?

Check to see if the trolley is jammed against the stop bolt on the rail. If so, loosen the chain tension until you see the trolley relax and move slightly away from the bolt. Run the motor until the trolley is halfway down the rail then stop it and re-tension the chain.

If the trolley is not jammed, then it likely the capacitor.

www.dgdoors.com
      Last edited by GarageDoorRepairGuy; 08-25-2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Garage door opener humming

It would help to know what brand of opener you have. Humming could be a circuit board, gear, trolley, carriage, coupler etc.

Comment

Originally posted by hughjmasterson View Post
          Hi,

Also what should I expect to pay for a professional to inspect and fix or replace the opener.

Thanks
          Service calls and labor rates vary depending on where you live. Most companies charge a service call that typically includes diagnosis. A reputable company will diagnose and offer both a repair and replacement estimate. I find that its usually worth repairing an opener rather than replacing it, even if the repair costs exceed half the price of a new one. Openers can have very long service lives as long as the doors they operate are balanced and well maintained.

Discount Garage Doors is Florida's #1 Garage Door Company. Call for Garage Door Repair, Installation & More!
          Last edited by GarageDoorRepairGuy; 08-25-2012, 12:16 PM.

Comment

garage door repair in Sacramento, CA

humming is usually a capacitor.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =