Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to change garage door opener battery safely?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change garage door opener battery safely?

There's 2 chords that run from the garage door opener in the ceiling to the outlet in the ceiling. One is black, and when unplugged the openers lights go off. The other cord is thin and brown and runs to a small brown box that's plugged in to the same outlet. It's actually plugged in to the outlet and bolted in as well. I'm not sure if I need to unscrew and unplug that as well? Thank you for any info:

Click image for larger version

Name:	garage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	87630
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cgl102770; 09-07-2012, 02:37 PM. Reason: I should have shrunk pic down first.

opener

the black cord is for the motor and lights. I don't know why there would be another power supply for the opener. this may feed something "other" than the door opener. I never heard of an opener with a battery backup. only batteries I know of are in the remotes.

Comment

garage door opener cords.

There are garage door Openers with backup batteries. The two cord in this case are 1) the black one is for the opener. 2) the second one is for either the alarm system, or telephone. Sometimes they may run a brown cord that is pulled through the outlet but is actually the wire for the wall control or wall button that opens and closes the garage door.

Comment

Originally posted by Garagedoorfixfl.com View Post
        There are garage door Openers with backup batteries. The two cord in this case are 1) the black one is for the opener. 2) the second one is for either the alarm system, or telephone. Sometimes they may run a brown cord that is pulled through the outlet but is actually the wire for the wall control or wall button that opens and closes the garage door.
        Who makes garage door openers with backup batteries? Genie?

Comment

Originally posted by GunitDoors View Post
          Who makes garage door openers with backup batteries? Genie?
          The Liftmaster Elite Series 8550 belt drive and the Liftmaster Premium Series 8360 chain drive. Both has battery backup and when setup with LiftMaster internet gateway you can operate the opener from any smart phone or computer.

Before you replace the backup battery or do any work on any garage door opener, unplug the power cord.

Comment

Liftmaster 3800 has an external battery back up option as well. Any DC motor from any manufacturer these days should have some type of battery back up option. That other cord in the pic I doubt is for the garage door opener but is a transformer of some type maybe for an alarm, phone or sprinkler system.
            Last edited by tmordoor; 01-11-2013, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Door Opener

You can take help of door repair professionals, they know very well about that , there are many online companies which give these type of services like Rosevillegaragedoorrepairs.com, you just dial toll free number, door repair professional will come and solve your problem at affordable price,

Comment

Could I install my garage door opener myself? Or is this something I would have to hire someone to do?

Comment

Chamberlain/Liftmaster operators can have battery back ups, but do not have a separate power supply. What it looks like you have is a separate transformer for a 24v power supply to an external radio control. If you need to replace the battery backup, you should only have to unplug the black cord. In either case your operator should not lose anything in its memory for limits or radio.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =