Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door - strut bent

My garage door got screwed up and the top strut is bent and the vertical support on the top panel where the garage door opener attaches is also mangled. I removed the strut and found a replacement, however the vertical support is riveted to the panel. It looks like the whole panel needs to be replaced. Is there any way around this? I could try and bend the support back, but it is so mangled it would probably be pretty weak. Any other ideas? It won't let me put a link to a photo directly, but there is one here: imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/garagex.jpg/

bracket

you can drill out the rivets, straighten out the bracket and use pop rivets to re-fasten the bracket. you may try some door suppliers to find a new bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      you can drill out the rivets, straighten out the bracket and use pop rivets to re-fasten the bracket. you may try some door suppliers to find a new bracket.
      I tried drilling them, they just started spinning around. I also tried a screw driver and mallet to get the head off and using a multitool. Nothing really worked to get the rivets out. I was able to bend the old bracket mostly back into shape and bought a new steel one that I put over the old one to reinforce it and it works fine now.

Comment

Next time, if you drill at an angle, that usually will get the rivets out.

Comment

Sounds like you have a Wayne Dalton door. If so, i would guess that its a model 8300. That door has a paper back and was notorious for the integrated strut and glued/riveted operator bracket to pull out. The rivets give it away. A garage door mechanic would have lagged the bracket and u-strut to the top of the door. If i am correct you might want to think about getting a new garage door.
          Last edited by tmordoor; 01-05-2013, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =