Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman Garage Door Opener issues

Hi all....................first post so bare with me.

I have a Craftsman 3/4 hp screwdrive opener, model #139.53924 manufacture date of 10/04. It's been in place since we moved in 2 years ago.

Recently it has been having an issue. When opening the door it will stop after about 8-12 inches. On occassion it'll take pushing the button 3-5 times for it to go up. More recently, it's taken as many as 15 or so. The door will open with manual assistance after hitting the remote button.

I've pulled the release cord in the down position and the "trolly" operates as it should with no load. The garage door lifts as it should. Neither have any type of hang ups.

Has anyone had this issue before? Any suggestions? Is it time to change the opener?

Thanks for your help.

opener

try adjusting your up pressure limit switch. also make sure the counter balance springs are in good shape. just be very careful. you could injure yourself quite badly. lots of force there.

Comment

It's cold. I guess it's nosy too.
      As you said, it goes up and down by hand without any major effort.
      The key here is grease. With time the grease into the screw drive dries out and it will rattle and get nosy. Also with the cold, everything gets stiffer. Some Low Temp grease, just put a line all the way down into where the trolley runs, but don’t overdo it or it will drip on the floor and car. Wipe off remaining grease.
      As said above turn up the force setting just a minute @ the time, that’s the 2 blue dials on the right hand side when you look @ it from the back. That tells the opener how much resistance it can take before reverse or in your case stop.

Comment

If there is no problem with the garage door then you might need to change the RPM sensor on the garage door opener!!
        Last edited by tmordoor; 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TJR View Post
          It's cold. I guess it's nosy too.
          As you said, it goes up and down by hand without any major effort.
          The key here is grease. With time the grease into the screw drive dries out and it will rattle and get nosy. Also with the cold, everything gets stiffer. Some Low Temp grease, just put a line all the way down into where the trolley runs, but don’t overdo it or it will drip on the floor and car. Wipe off remaining grease.
          As said above turn up the force setting just a minute @ the time, that’s the 2 blue dials on the right hand side when you look @ it from the back. That tells the opener how much resistance it can take before reverse or in your case stop.
          Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate them. TJR, you were right on when saying that "it's noisy too". I had the up pressure switch turned as high as it would go.

I put some grease on it tonight and ran the opener up and down several times to spread the grease on the screw. A couple of things happened:
          1.) The function was MUCH more quiet.
          2.) It worked everytime.

Now that I've said that I've jinxed myself and it won't work the next time I try it. I went ahead and bought a new opener as I had a 20% off coupon. I'll hold onto it for a week or so just to be safe.

TJR, thanks so much. If you were closer I'd give you a kiss. That's not weird a man saying that to another man, is it? Ok, so maybe a handshake

Really....Thank you.

Comment

opener

while inside the unit, you might check the gear on the drive. it could be slipping. if there is a pressure clutch between the motor and the carriage drive, this too could be slipping. a replacement gear is made of nylon. this could be worn or its key is slipping on the motor shaft, making a grinding noise.

Comment

You're welcome, only glad to help.
              PS I'll take the handshake

Originally posted by tj4ndirish View Post
              Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate them. TJR, you were right on when saying that "it's noisy too". I had the up pressure switch turned as high as it would go.

I put some grease on it tonight and ran the opener up and down several times to spread the grease on the screw. A couple of things happened:
              1.) The function was MUCH more quiet.
              2.) It worked everytime.

Now that I've said that I've jinxed myself and it won't work the next time I try it. I went ahead and bought a new opener as I had a 20% off coupon. I'll hold onto it for a week or so just to be safe.

TJR, thanks so much. If you were closer I'd give you a kiss. That's not weird a man saying that to another man, is it? Ok, so maybe a handshake

Really....Thank you.
              Last edited by TJR; 01-06-2013, 05:06 PM. Reason: too many fingers

Comment

Working...
              X
              =