Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gap at the top with the door is closed

Greetings,
    The previous owners added concrete to the garage floor - probably a couple inches - sometime in the past. The garaged door now has a gap - the top panel lays back into the garage - about an inch or two when the door is shut. I'm sure there are "fixes" out there - any suggestions that don't cost a ton?

I had a garage door contractor adjuste the springs/track etc and he said that there were hinges that could be put on the top of the top panel that could help push the panel closer - something like flip down hinges or something...........

Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Scott

It has nothing to do with the springs or door hinges, it sounds like when they added the concrete they didn't move the two metal tracks (one either side). It is these tracks, especially the arch that guide the panels into position.
    What they should have done is to have moved the tracks up the same distance as what they added in concrete. As long as you can get the metal tracks out of the concrete you should be able to reinstall them in the correct position, the bottom of the tracks should sit on the concrete.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

There is no magic trick and just move the track around do not fix your problem. Everything on a garage door work together as the engine in your car. When you start moving stuff around it will give you a problem some where else.
      As pushkins said:
      "As long as you can get the metal tracks out of the concrete you should be able to reinstall them in the correct position, the bottom of the tracks should sit on the concrete."
      That's not going to work without move the entire counter spring assembly and as a "do it you self" project, I will not recommend you to do so.
      When you already have had a garage door contractor, I guess he did what he could do with what you have, as adjust the top roller bracket out as much as possible.
      Some quick turn bracket might help.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Quick%20Turn%20Top%20Brackets.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	87151

Comment

TJR is correct I should have elaborated a little more, you will need to reinstall the tracks and the opener system, basically your going to reinstall the entire door, up the same distance as the thickness of the concrete.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

If a new door needs to be installed, is it better to install an insulated garage door?

Comment

Working...
          X
          =