Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with a rollup door

... third attempt to post this...

I have a metal rollup door that is unbranded. I did look. Its connected to a liftmaster operator that is bogging down when a close operation is initiated. The picture is the spring tentioner on the opposite side which has a rather odd mechanism for tentioning the spring. I attempted to use a crowbar which slips really easy and did not feel safe. Does anyone know where I can get 'the tool' that is used to adjust the tention on the spring for this door?

Thanks
    Allen
    Attached Files
    Last edited by allen.traveltech; 01-09-2014, 08:25 AM. Reason: Remove Advertisement Links embedded in my post

I will not recommend to adjust the springs and when you don't have the right tool for it. I do not know what tool you will need for that.
    I'm not sure why you want to adjust the spring on your door. Disconnect the opener and open/close the door by hand to see if it sticking/binding somewhere in the travel and see if the door will stay by it self about half way. Run the opener a full cycle to see if it has any problems.
    You say your LiftMaster are bogging down when closing the door, if you put more tension on the springs it will be harder for the opener to close the door.
    You didn't say what type of opener you have, but most LiftMaster chain and belt drive opener has a gear/sprocket assembly that wear out over time and need repair, but if you have a LiftMaster screw drive opener they can have problems when the weather get cold and bind up in the screw itself, but some LowTemp grease in the full length of the screw and it will be quiet again.

Comment

Hello

Originally posted by TJR View Post
      I will not recommend to adjust the springs and when you don't have the right tool for it. I do not know what tool you will need for that. I'm not sure why you want to adjust the spring on your door. Disconnect the opener and open/close the door by hand to see if it sticking/binding somewhere in the travel and see if the door will stay by it self about half way. Run the opener a full cycle to see if it has any problems. You say your LiftMaster are bogging down when closing the door, if you put more tension on the springs it will be harder for the opener to close the door. You didn't say what type of opener you have, but most LiftMaster chain and belt drive opener has a gear/sprocket assembly that wear out over time and need repair, but if you have a LiftMaster screw drive opener they can have problems when the weather get cold and bind up in the screw itself, but some LowTemp grease in the full length of the screw and it will be quiet again.
      I agree with your precautionary note which is why I came here. I dont have the right tool to adjust the spring and so I stopped. This is a 14x20 metal rolling curtain door with a windload rating of 130mph (meaning 18 gauge steel slats). I am quite certain that this door contains a rather large spring inside the drum. I am not here to hurt myself nor anyone else during this repair. Thank you tho.

I have already disconnected the operator and used a chain hoist to evaluate the tention of the spring:
      - easy (light) travel UP with no friction between the door and verticle track
      - difficult (heavy) travel DOWN with no friction between the door and verticle track.

This is why I wanted to adjust the spring for this door. I intended to release tention on the spring actually. It is my assertion that this door has been over-tentioned by someone else. I dont care to place blame anywhere, I just need to correct the problem.

The operator is as follows:
      Liftmaster GJ-3243, 1/2HP, 460V, 3PH, 527 in lbs/sec, serial:026-A6-25075M
      The sprockets, gears, chains, and hoist are in working condition.

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with a response. I am still looking for the tool needed to adjust the spring on this door. Should you find anything please let me know.

Comment

The door you have is too much door for me, I only do residential and when I do have a door like that, I call a commercial door company I trade jobs with.
        With the size and weight of your door, there will be ALOT of tension on the spring/springs. As you said it open fine, but having problem closing. It can be some in the track and/or up in the drum that binding up when closing, look for worn out parts. Sorry for the little help.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =