Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door is really slow except after rain

Hello,

For the last year or so my garage door has been opening/closing very slowly. It initially started where it just was slow to open and close, and then when closing, would stop when it was almost to the bottom and go up, so you would have to stop it and send it go down again. I was out late at night a month or so ago and it was extremely foggy out, and when I got home, the door opened and closed normal (fast, didn't get stuck). Since then, every time we get a rain overnight or if it rains all through the day, it opens and closes fine. I'm not really sure why this is happening but I thought the motor was going when it started acting up but since it is able to run normally, I suspect something else is going on. Do the pulleys and such just need some lubrication perhaps? How is the fact that it's wet outside helping?

Thanks for any advice!

What brand name garage door opener do you have? Genie Excelerator?
    Look like this?

Comment

Overhead Door model 1026

Overhead Door model 1026

Comment

You have a red and a green light on the opener motor head itself. How many times does the green light blink when you have your problems?
        Did you open/close the door by hand to make sure it didn't bind up somewhere in its travel? And also the door should stay by itself half way and full open.Don't just let go because if not balance correct the door can drop and get damaged. Just feel it and you should be able to open/close the door without major effort. Lube all the hinges, rollers and moving points.

Comment

No lights

The green light doesn't flash. It flashes if you go by the sensor when the door is on the way down but not when it goes up by itself.

I have tried opening and closing the door manually, it does seem to sit wherever I leave it except at one spot, where it does let go a bit and come down a bit further. It doesn't get stuck when moving it. Perhaps the door is not balanced.

I did lubricate the rollers but I didn't do the hinges, I will try that tonight. It didn't seem to help immediately. It did open and close fine this morning and in the evening yesterday as well but in the yesterday afternoon it did not.

Comment

Sound like the door is ok. That it drop a little in one point is ok as long it's not slamming to the floor.
            On the motor is two dials to adjust open and close force you can turn them just a couple minutes and see if that helps.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =