Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken torsion spring - do I really need to replace/repair?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken torsion spring - do I really need to replace/repair?

Hi; the torsion spring above one of my garage doors recently broke. I don't know when, I just happened to notice that the safety cables had suddenly come all unwound. While trying to determine what happened to the safety cables, I saw the clean break in the spring. A garage door opener is installed for this door and here's the thing -- as far as I can tell, the broken spring is having zero effect on the function of the door. I've googled all over the place trying to determine if there's a need for this spring after all. All I find is the reference that the spring is needed to allow 'all that weight' of the door to raise and lower easily. But I live in Dallas, the door is made of very thin aluminum. It's total weight is probably 30 pounds. A toddler could lift this door. The opener seems to work fine, I notice no difference in its ability to open or close the door. Other than future resale value of the house, do I really need to spend the money or time to have this spring replaced?

Any help is appreciated.

In short, YES.
    It's there for a reason.

Comment

I understand your desire to not replace this garage door spring however, it is a necessity. The garage door springs do balance the weight of the door. If you do not replace the springs, even though your door is very light, the garage door opener will have to work much harder during operation and will burn out much quicker than usual. This will mean not only replacing the broken spring, but also replacing the opener. Save yourself a lot of headaches and money by replacing that broken spring now. The sooner the better for your openers sake.

Comment

Thank you, gilbdoor. I was just needing direction or clarification with some logic behind it. This makes sense. I truly appreciate of you taking time to help. Take care.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =