Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with old extension spring

Hi,
    I have a 9' x 7' old wooden garage door (4 panel). The other night, the cable on one of the extension springs broke. It also appears that the spring was damaged so I decided to replace the springs too.

I bought 110' (white paint code) springs. When I got the first spring on, the door worked again but felt a little heavy. Once I put the second spring on, the opener would not bring the door up as it is too heavy. So, obviously the springs I got were the wrong size.

The old springs do not have color codes. They are 21" long, I.D. 1.75", wire diameter 0.225". Can anyone help me determine the weight rating of these old springs? I figure I need to go up one or two increments, but I'm not sure - and I don't have a scale to weigh the door.

Recommendations?

Well, for those interested, I bought a scale and weighed the door. Not exactly the kind of fun I was looking forward to tonight, but hey what the heck. The door weights 150 lbs. So, I do indeed need the red coded springs. So, if anyone happens to have an old spring that matches those dimensions, it is likely a 150 lb. spring. A gentlemen in another forum guessed my door was 150 lbs. He was spot on. Damn door ate too many Christmas cookies.

Comment

This website might help you out, scroll to the bottom.
      Sectional Garage Door Extension Springs

Comment

Working...
      X
      =