Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman 1/2 Hp. Garage Door Opener

I recently purchased a new home and the garage door opener does not work. When I press the button there is a slight buzzing sound as though it is trying to work but the door doesn't move. This also happens when pushing the remote. Any ideas on what the problem could be or what I should check out.

Thanks,

same thing happened to mine, turned out it was a gear that was stripped. Basically the motor was turning the gear but was stripped enough that it was not moving the chain.

Comment

for starters, pull the rope which will disengage the door arm and try the opener electrically. if the chain or lead screw moves, then check for binding on the door rails.
      next, take off the cover and see if the main sprocket is secured to the motor shaft, a loose setscrew will allow the motor to spin but not move the chain or in the case of a lead screw there is a bevel gear affixed to the lead screw.

Comment

Don;t listen to electricians

If a garage door opener motor moves and the drive system, be it chain or belt,does not, most likely it is the gears inside the box, they are made out of a plastic nylon material and last only 5 to 10 years or more if the door is maintained and spring tension is blanced to the actual door. If the door is hard to close or too hard to open, it is going to be particularly hard on your operator's internal gears. If you have to have the sensitivity settings maxxed out this is also a sign (though not always) that your operator is going to have gear damage and will go out in the future.

Your garage door pro, email questions whenever. No charge
        Ryan
        Last edited by gdoorpro; 08-03-2007, 04:53 PM. Reason: left out some words

Comment

Working...
        X
        =