Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Door Opener

I just purchased my first new home and need to purchase a garage door opener. I have a 2 car garage with just one large door. I have seen 3 types of openers (screw, belt, chain). Could someone please tell me whether one type is better than another? Or, if you could recommend which type would be the best for this size door. Thank you....

the screw type will handle the weight and size of the door. just check the specs of the horsepower of the motor when you go to buy. you need to know an approximate weight of the door, minus the force the counterweight springs express.

Comment

choosing operators

Choosing operators is very important. You can go cheap or you can go for a long while without hassel by spending a little more money.

Chain drives are the oldest type and have proven durable and reliable. But can be a little noisey, though not like they used to be.

Screw drives, tend to be quiet origionally, then can become the noisiest of all. If it says it is maintence free, be sceptical, lubricating the rail is very important and neglected by most homeowners. You should clean out the grease anf relubricate every 6 months to keep it quiet. This model may last the longest.

Belt drives are the best in my opinion, very little or no grease needed depending on model, and will always be quiet.

Jackshaft operators are best. they mount to the torsion spring shaft, so if you have extension springs you will have to convert to torsion, and that would make it cost prohibitive. You should be around $500 for a Jackshaft plus extra accessories. the Liftmaster 3800 is my favorite. The wayne dalton idrive is good if you have a wayne dalton door, but not proven yet on other door manufacturers doors.

DC motors are quieter than AC motors. I recommend the DC motor because it is also easier on the door with the slow start/stop ability.

Comment

Originally posted by killerbee1970 View Post
        I just purchased my first new home and need to purchase a garage door opener. I have a 2 car garage with just one large door. I have seen 3 types of openers (screw, belt, chain). Could someone please tell me whether one type is better than another? Or, if you could recommend which type would be the best for this size door. Thank you....
        Just look at a couple of things, is there a bedroom above the garage? If so then go with a belt drive, if there isnt anything above, then I would just go with a chain drive operator.

A 1/2 hp unit should be good, provided your garage door is well balanced and runs smooth and free on its own. A good way to test the balance is to bring the door to around the middle of the opening height and see if it stays in one spot. If it floats up or down, then your springs need adjustment.

CHEERS

-Ian

Comment

Originally posted by gdoorpro View Post

Jackshaft operators are best. they mount to the torsion spring shaft, so if you have extension springs you will have to convert to torsion, and that would make it cost prohibitive. You should be around $500 for a Jackshaft plus extra accessories. the Liftmaster 3800 is my favorite. The wayne dalton idrive is good if you have a wayne dalton door, but not proven yet on other door manufacturers doors.

DC motors are quieter than AC motors. I recommend the DC motor because it is also easier on the door with the slow start/stop ability.
          Just put in the 3800...I am glad to read a good review....I hope it works out...

Comment

Working...
          X
          =